Advantages and Disadvantages of Arranged Marriage
Arranged Marriage Advantages and Disadvantages
Marriage is a strong and beautiful relationship between two individuals that binds them with well-defined rights and obligations. Every person wants to find a loving, caring, sincere and gorgeous life partner with whom he/she can spend life happily and successfully. So every person chooses his/her life partner of his/her own choice which we call love marriage or agrees with the choice of his/her parents which we call arranged marriage.
In arranged marriage, the decision about the suitability of two individuals for each other is a collective decision taken by their parents and relatives such as uncles, aunts, elder brothers and sisters and in few cases some other older people of the family.
Arranged marriage usually occurs in Pakistan, Bangladesh and India. Arranged marriages have their own advantages and disadvantages as compared to love marriage.
Following are few advantages of arranged marriage that will help couples to make their lives happy, full of joy and tension free.
1. One of the most important advantage of arranged marriage is that it ensures that both individuals are perfectly matched on the factors such as religion, culture, social status, financial strength, background, language and similar lifestyle, so the risk of incompatibility is completely eliminated. Thus when both individuals have almost everything in common, there would be more chances that the arranged marriage would be more successful than love marriage.
2. Another advantage includes support from Parents and extended family members. When it is an arranged marriage, the parents do support the relationship and there would be a strong cooperation between the parents of the two individuals. They try their level best to make their children happy and keep the relationship between them strong and alive. Also when times of difficulty arise, both individuals get financial and emotional supports from their parents.
3. Another advantage that comes along with the support from extended family members is advice. When both individuals have to make some major decisions, their parents and elder family members advice and help them from their life experiences in making such a major decisions of life.
4. In case of government or private jobs, when both individuals have to go to work, they could rely on family members to look after their children.
5. Most important and above all advantage of arranged marriage is this that rate of divorce is very low in arranged marriages. Since most arranged marriages take place in south-Asian countries such as Pakistan, Bangladesh and India, where divorce is almost unthinkable because most religions such as Islam, Hinduism and Christianity discourage divorce but do permit it in few cases when it is difficult to live with each other.
6. With arranged marriage both individuals avoid courtship and dating. The many years spent as an individual dating and trying to find the perfect someone is completely eliminated with arranged marriage.
Along with advantages, arranged marriages may also include disadvantages. Following are the disadvantages of arranged marriage.
1. One disadvantage is the fact that both individuals don’t know their weak and plus points for better understanding and respect for each other.
[adsense]2. Both individuals don’t have the opportunity to make their own decision because when marriage is arranged by parents and family members, they don’t encourage the individual to decide on when they should marry.
3. Another disadvantage of arranged marriage is that interference of extended family members also creates problems for both individuals in their personal life.
4. Another disadvantage that occurs along with arranged marriage is the fact that love within the marriage is second priority. Parents of individuals give more importance to social and economic status rather than romantic love between two individuals and believe that true love will eventually bloom after the marriage.
In this article I have written few advantages and disadvantages of arranged marriage. I know there are many other things that can decide is arranged marriage successful or not? If you have your good or bad experience about arranged marriage then please share it with us and other readers of Geo Marriage in the comments box at the end of this post to help all of us in deciding whether love marriage is suitable for us in Pakistani society or arranged marriage is the best choice.
It is true that every marriage is made in heaven but enjoyed on earth and like some advantages there are also some disadvantages of both arranged marriage and love marriage. One important thing that I can say and suggest you personally is, it is better to spend your life with your cousin, school fellow, college fellow, office colleague, neighbor or your relative than to settle with an unfamiliar person. So if there is an element of love too in arranged marriage then it is best of all marriage categories.